Located in the Eastern Himalayas, it is bordered by Tibet Autonomous Region of China in the north, the Sikkim state of India and the Chumbi Valley of Tibet in the west, the Arunachal Pradesh state of India in the east, and the states of Assam and West Bengal in the south.
Bhutan is geopolitically in South Asia and is the region's second least populous nation after the Maldives. Thimphu is its capital and largest city, while Phuntsholing is its financial center bordering India.
The Government of Bhutan has been a constitutional monarchy since 18 July 2008. The King of Bhutan is the head of state. The executive power is exercised by the Lhengye Zhungtshog, or council of ministers, headed by the Prime Minister. Legislative power is vested in the bicameral Parliament, both the upper house, National Council, and the lower house, National Assembly. In 2008, Bhutan adopted its first modern Constitution, codifying the institutions of government and the legal framework for a democratic multi-party system
In 1907, an epochal year for the country, Gongsar Ugyen Wangchuck was unanimously chosen as the hereditary king of the country by the Lhengye Tshogdu of leading Buddhist monks, government officials, and heads of important families, with the firm petition made by Gongzim Ugyen Dorji. John Claude White, British Political Agent in Bhutan, took photographs of the ceremony. The British government promptly recognized the new monarchy. Since then, 4 Kings from the monarch have ruled Bhutan till the 4th King introduced democracy in Bhutan with the present 5th King as the Head of State
Bhutan lies between latitudes 26°N and 29°N, and longitudes 88°E and 93°E. Elevation rises from 200 m (660 ft) in the southern foothills to more than 7,000 m (23,000 ft). This great geographical diversity combined with equally diverse climate conditions contributes to Bhutan's outstanding range of biodiversity and ecosystems.
The northern region of Bhutan consists of an arc of Eastern Himalayan alpine shrub and meadows reaching up to glaciated mountain peaks with an extremely cold climate at the highest elevations. Most peaks in the north are over 7,000 m (23,000 ft) above sea level; the highest point in Bhutan is Gangkhar Puensum at 7,570 metres (24,840 ft), which has the distinction of being the highest unclimbed mountain in the world
Bhutanese people primarily consists of the Ngalops comprising of (Parops from Paro, Haaps from Haa, Punap from Punakha) called the Western Bhutanese and Eastern Bhutanese mainly the Sharchops. Bumthaps from the central region: Bumthang. Khengpas from Zhemgang, central Bhutan and the Lhotshampas from the southern Bhutan.
The ethnic group like Doyas (from south-eastern Bhutan) are believed to be the original inhabitants of Bhutan before migration from Tibet in the North and Arunachal Pradhesh from the east, Lhotshampas from the south populated Bhutan and the present population boomed
The official religion in Bhutan Vajrayana Buddhism. Bhutan is a Buddhist country by constitution and Buddhism play a vital role in the country. Buddhism is the cultural heritage of Bhutan and its people's identity as well.
Freedom of religion is guaranteed by the King. Approximately 75 percent of the population of 770,000 follow either the Drukpa Lineage of the Kagyu school, the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism or another school of Buddhism. The remaining 25 percent mainly Lhotshampas practice Hinduism
Bhutan & Gross National Happiness (GNH)
Gross National Happiness (also known by the acronym: GNH) is a philosophy that guides the government of Bhutan. It includes an index which is used to measure the collective happiness and well-being of a population. Gross National Happiness is instituted as the goal of the government of Bhutan in the Constitution of Bhutan, enacted on 18 July 2008. The term Gross National Happiness was coined in 1972 during an interview by a British journalist for the Financial Times at Mumbai airport when the then King of Bhutan, His Majesty The 4th King Jigme Singye Wangchuck, said "Gross National Happiness is more important than Gross National Product"
Bhutan - A Visual Walk Thru
Bhutan is beautiful, natural & pristine with lots of beautiful and remarkable highlights for you to discover that is hard to find in other places on this planet. Hope this walk-thru helps you to get a glimpse of Bhutan and make you eager and excited to visit Bhutan through us